Location: Byramji Jeejeebhoy Road, Bandstand Road, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400050.
Castella de Aguada (corruption of Castelo da Aguada, Portuguese for “Fort of the Waterpoint”), also known as the Bandra Fort, is a fort located in Bandra, Mumbai. “Castella” is a misspelling for Portuguese “Castelo” (castle), although it seems its Portuguese builders actually called it Forte de Bandorá (or Bandra Fort). It is located at Land’s End in Bandra. It was built by the Portuguese in 1640 as a watchtower overlooking Mahim Bay, the Arabian Sea and the southern island of Mahim.
The strategic value of the fort was enhanced in 1661 after the Portuguese ceded the seven islands of Bombay that lay to the immediate south of Bandra to the English. The name indicates its origin as a place where fresh water was available in the form of a fountain (“Aguada”) for Portuguese ships cruising the coasts in the initial period of Portuguese presence. The fort lies over several levels, from sea level to an altitude of 24 metres (79 ft). Castella de Aguada has been featured in several Hindi films, such as Dil Chahta Hai and Buddha Mil Gaya.